Tuesday, October 13, 2009

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate!

Tomorrow they are holding a long awaited H1N1 vaccine clinic for health care professionals at the Madison Memorial Hospital. I didn't want to get this vaccine. I've been debating as I don't really read the study results that the CDC has done. It makes me a little nervous being pregnant. However-after a little research and after talking to a fellow health care professional that works for the health department-I've decided to get the vaccine. They say that for some reason-pregnant women are really having a hard time with the H1N1 strain of flu. I still wasn't totally convinced until this lady said that women in their 3rd trimester get hit the worst! We've seen our share of flu in the office. I'm sure I've been exposed to it several times. I've been lucky thus far not to get sick. I suppose I shouldn't press that luck any further. I made my whole family get the normal flu vaccine. The public swine flu vaccine clinic isn't till the end of the month. Alas-I've caved and my family will follow suit. They really don't have a choice-especially the little ones.
Hope everyone is healthy wherever you are reading this. Don't get too nervous about the swine flu. Unless you have underlying health conditions, it really isn't any worse than the regular flu. In fact-almost 100% of the flu tests that have come back positive this season are the swine flu. It does spread easily-but they are finding that most people have some immunity to it, so don't be panicked if you have been exposed. Drink plenty of fluid, get plenty of rest, and stay away from pregnant ladies!!
Much love to all who read this!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info. I've also been debating whether or not to have my family vaccinated. The vaccine doesn't get here until the end of the month, but there has already been a huge outbreak of Swine Flu out here in the Sticks. They're shutting down schools. So, do we still get the vaccine if Swine Flu got here first?

    ReplyDelete