Saturday, October 3, 2009

This week is going to be crazy!

So...Thursday started the lovely time of potato harvest. Since Matthew is not working much right now, he has the opportunity to work with his dad in potato harvest. He drives the trucks next to the digger-which is harder than it looks. I tried it, unsuccessfully, last year. I helped quite a bit last year, but this year I'm working, so I'm not doing much in potatoes. We went out this afternoon and rode in the truck with Matthew. The kids think its great! McKinley always falls asleep and today was no exception. Gavin lost his balance at one point and fell and hit the back of his head. It left a quarter size goose egg that sticks out about 3/4 of an inch. It nearly broke the skin! Thank goodness it didn't.
If anyone lives here in Rexburg and would like a lot of free potatoes, call me. You have to come when they are digging, but the potatoes that are too small for the digger just get left on the ground. There are thousands of them! It breaks my heart to see all those potatoes go to waste. I have to admit-they are a pain to clean. And forget peeling them! Just cook them with the skins on! A lot of people use them for bottling. I don't think I'll venture there-not this year.
Here are a couple of pictures.


Here is the digger and the truck going along. Gavin is in the truck with Matthew. Too bad you can't see him!
Here are McKinley and Gavin sitting on the digger during break. McKinley is already asking when she will be old enough to help out. Maybe she'll still feel that way when she actually has to work! Ya, right!


No comments:

Post a Comment