Friday, June 26, 2009

Yellowstone

Ah, the joys of visiting Yellowstone National Park. I was glad they handed us this flyer.


It has been a while since I have been to Yellowstone. We are pretty lucky to only live about 100 miles away. We went twice in June, once with Morgan and Sophie and once with our friends Roger and Marin. It was sure a lot of fun. We stayed in Henry's Lake both times so we drove up the night before and spent just the day. The first time we spent most of our time down around Old Faithful. It was fun to go see all of those things again. I think that is really the only place that I have ever been. The next week we hiked to Mystic Falls and then we drove over to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.

Mystic Falls was a lot of fun. It is about a 2.5 mile round trip hike. It wasn't hard at all. McKinley walked all of the way there and part of the way back before her carburetor pooped out. Erica carried her the rest of the way out. We were sure proud of her for doing so good. It was funny to watch her stop at everything on the way up. She had to look at flowers and pick up sticks and draw a line down the trail. She said that they were railroad tracks. Gavin rode in his backpack and did great. He walked a little ways as we got right by the falls. It was fun though. This is Mystic Falls. Highly recommended!


The falls on the Yellowstone River were pretty awesome. The lower one is 300 feet or something and the upper one is maybe 100 feet. It was quite the sight. I won't post any pictures of Old Faithful or the geysers but I have to post one of the falls. I had never even heard of it until a guy at work told me about it. It is right off the road you don't have to hike or anything. Pretty awesome. This is the upper falls and then the lower falls.


We sure had fun. I'm not sure when we'll make it back. I have some ideas of things that I want to see.

1. Norris Geyser Basin
2. the Chocolate Pots
3. Fairy Falls

If anybody wants to go see any of these things, get your stuff together and lets go!

1 comment:

  1. You know, this is SO not fair! You got to see all of our pictures from Yellowstone and now you won't share yours. :(

    PS: As soon as Morgan stops working Saturdays. Wait...strike that. I haven't been climbing since early May. The second weekend that Morgan's not working we should go back. I'd like to do some serious exploring.

    ReplyDelete