Friday, April 17, 2009

It's a boy!!!

So, I grew up on a farm but never really learned much about farming. We learned how to drive tractors and bale hay and feed cows, but never really learned when or why. Same thing with cows. We would always help in the spring to drive them into the corrals and give them their shots, eartag them, dehorn the ones that needed it, and brand them. We knew that Grandpa kept a herd to breed but we never really got too involved, only that we knews the cows had their calves in the spring. I had the lucky opportunity to go help pull a calf. I have never helped before so it was quite the experience.
The cow had started to have her calf earlier in the day but she hadn't progressed much. There were two of the calf's feet sticking out but that was it. We got her into the pen (after some chasing around) and Dad donned his birthing coveralls and some shoulder length plastic gloves. Yep, that's right, shoulder length. We roped her and I held her in the corner so Dad could work. We tied some strings on the calf's feet and tried giving a little tug to see what would happen. Not much was the answer. Dad and Grandpa decided that it was the calf's back feet that were coming out and that he was not turned right inside the cow. Dad made full use of the gloves and got the calf turned right side up. With a few more tugs on the strings the calf came right out.
He was a bouncing 62 lb 13 oz baby boy with dark red hair. The mother is doing fine in case you were wondering.

It was quite the experience! It's not quite what you see in the hospital when your own children are born.

1 comment:

  1. So I'm somewhat intrigued by the whole birthing process. There's part of me that wants to head out and help on of these days then there's part of me that thinks I'd just get grossed out. Glad to see that you got to enjoy the experience.

    On another note. Hey now! You're invited to Yellowstone, Paria Canyon, and probably to the Salmon River trip too if you want to come. And I'm still ridiculously jealous about your cruise coming up so I'm not sure if I'm going to tolerate much flack. :)

    They're called low budget weekend vacations. :)

    ReplyDelete