Sunday, June 3, 2012

My comments on camping

You should probably read Matthew's entry first. Its the one right below.




Done already? Read on then.......




So, I couldn't figure out how to write at the bottom of Matthew's post. Blogger changed the way we do things and we are still trying to figure it out.
Now you tell me.....how many women with 4 small children, one being the age of 3 months, would want to go camping in the pouring rain and temperatures down to freezing at night? I know of a few that did it. They were the mothers of Matthew and his cousins. However, I wonder if it was raining that year they had a 3 month old? Or if their 3 month old personally soiled more laundry than the other 3 children combined?
I do appreciate Bryant letting us use their old little camper. It kept us warm and dry. And I appreciate Morgan and Sophie letting Gavin and McKinley sleep in their tent. My children are always much more entertained when their aunts and uncles are around. McKinley has taken to Sophie and loves everything she does. She also loves her aunt Emily. Sophie is really in to bird watching and is teaching my kids to classify birds. Its pretty awesome. Sophie always worries about turning my kids into nerds. I don't mind. They are so much more willing to learn with other people. Mom just isn't that cool. (until it comes to me handling blood. They do think that's pretty cool.)
As Matthew mentioned, his extended family has been less enthusiastic about camping in recent years. Not to mention the change in dynamics of Matthew's own immediate family with the divorce of his parents. This camping trip was definitely different.  It is fun to see the brothers together, though, manning the boats their dad and uncles use to drive. Its always kind of poignant seeing the next generation take over what their father's use to do. We missed having Devin with us.
I very much enjoyed it once the rain stopped and it warmed up marginally. I spent most of Sunday morning in the camper with Reagan, trying to keep her warm and dry. Then the children came back from a very wet, rainy boat ride. More trying to keep cold, wet children warm, dry, and entertained. I was extremely pleased when the rain let up and we could all get outside again. We did go on a drive farther up the river. The boys and Reagan all fell asleep. It was a peaceful drive which I thoroughly enjoyed with Matthew and McKinley.
I was extremely pleased that I caught two fish whilst carrying Reagan. It makes me happy to catch fish. We ended up keeping one of mine and one of Gavin's as the hooks were too deep and the fish didn't survive the removal. Gavin was very excited to eat them! He thought we were going to cook them over the camp fire and was some what disappointed when we told him he had to wait till we got home. Silly boy!
Here is a picture of me, Reagan and Jamison, first thing in the morning. Matthew loves taking pictures like this. We have a very similar one of me, McKinley, and Gavin several years ago. I  mostly wanted you all to see little Reagan up close. She's so cute! (she proceeded to spit up all over right after this pic was snapped. In fact, I believe Matthew got a picture of that as well!)
I love my kids. And I love my husband. And I love that my husband wants my kids to learn to love the outdoors. And I love the outdoors.......when its not constantly raining!!! Even then, I don't mind it. I just wished my children were a little older during the rain. We'll pack more games next time. Old school games. No electronics allowed while we camp!! NEVER!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are insane. Oh wait. We are, too. We had a camping trip a few years ago with month old baby, and we woke up in our tent with a nice layer of frost over all of our blankets. So fun.

    (I kid...it was the worst camping trip EVER!!)

    ReplyDelete