Saturday, November 14, 2009

Steelhead Fishing

We had an excellent semiannual steelhead fishing trip last week. I used to go when I was in high school and never caught too many. Usually one or two per trip. Then I was in college and on my mission, and then in college again. So from 2001 to 2008 I didn't get to go. I've been three times since we've moved back to Rexburg. Every time, I've only caught one fish on the morning we were leaving. Sad huh?

This trip was different though. Between me, Dad, and Devin we brought home 18 steelhead. I tagged six and turned two wild ones lose. I had about six more on that got off before I landed them. It was a lot of fun to be catching so many fish. Erica always wonders why I go when we drive for six hours, stand outside in the cold and rain or snow, and only catch one or two fish all weekend. There are several reasons. The first is good company. I love spending time with my dad, especially fishing. Devin just got back off his mission this spring so it was fun to spend time with him. My grandpa and two of my uncles also go in their boat and we spend the evenings with them. I love the company and meeting new and old people out on the river. Secondly, the Salmon River is beautiful even when its 35 degrees and raining and the wind is blowing. Third, the boat ride is a blast going through the big rapids. With names like the Rock Garden, Killem, Gunbarrell, and the Inviscerator how can you not have fun? Okay I made that last one up. And last but not least, the actual steelhead. You can catch fish 40" long and 20 lbs. That would be a really big one. Most of the ones we caught were more like 24-28" long and less than 10 lbs. Grandpa hooked into one that took off downstream and he never got it stopped, it just kept running until it broke the line. We had fun catching and netting fish.

What would be a good fish story without a few pictures. Enjoy.

Here's Uncle Rodney fishing below the Horse Creek Rapids
Still water above Horse Creek Rapids
One of the fish I caught
A nice wild fish that Devin turned loose. The hatchery fish have their adipose fin clipped. (The adipose fin is the small fin on top by their tail)
It's important to show the steelhead love
Another wild one Dad and Devin turned loose
This is a big bull trout that I caught. You have to turn them loose
Devin fishing at the Trout Hole
Fishing at Bean Creek. I liked the yellow bushes and green trees.
Here's the rig. Dad's truck does horrible on gas with the camper and boat. We had to stop on the top of Gilmore Pass and dump the leftover gas from the boat into the truck to make it to Mud Lake so we could gas up again.

McKinley wouldn't touch the fish with her hands but she finally agreed to hold it up on a string.

Here is our catch. Except for the one we gave to Devin and Garrett's friend in Salmon. Sorry if this is disturbing to anyone. Just know-they will all get eaten!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Son-In-Law...
    I soooooooo remember my family fishing in Montana and all the fish lined up in a row!!
    Looks just like the picture you posted!! I remember getting up at 4:30 in the morning to go grayling fishing with my dad and it is a great feeling! I loved the frying fresh caught fish when we were camping!! Yummy!! I do miss that part! Being married to a city boy makes a difference!! But I do understand Erica on only catching ONE fish on a four day fishing trip!! Uhhhggggh!! What a special time to be with your father & brothers & family...those memories are priceless!! Just think Erica...when your boys are growing up they will have a father that takes them out and spends quality time with them!! What a blessing!! Congrats Erica on not being a lot later to church!! Wow...I may of stayed home!! Ha!! Good girl & Mommie you are!!

    ReplyDelete